An Afghan official said that Afghan President Ashraf Ghani is leaving Kabul for Tajikistan

A senior official of the Afghan Ministry of Interior said, on Sunday, that Afghan President Ashraf Ghani left the capital, Kabul, for Tajikistan.

In response to a request for comment, the president’s office said it “cannot say anything about Ashraf Ghani’s movement for security reasons.” A representative of the Taliban, who entered the capital Kabul earlier on Sunday, said the group is checking Ghani’s whereabouts.

An Afghan negotiator said that an Afghan government delegation will travel to Qatar on Sunday to meet with Taliban representatives.

This comes hours after the militants arrived in the capital, Kabul, without much resistance.

Fawzi Kofi, a member of the negotiating team in Kabul, confirmed to Reuters that the delegation will meet with the Taliban in the Gulf country after the militant group entered Kabul earlier.

A source familiar with the matter said that the Afghan delegation and Taliban representatives will discuss the transfer of power, adding that officials from the United States will also participate. And Abdullah Abdullah will be the senior official in the Afghan delegation.

A Taliban spokesman said they expect a peaceful transfer of power in the next few days. Sohail Shaheen said the group would protect women’s rights as well as the freedoms of media workers and diplomats.

“We assure people, especially in the city of Kabul, that their property and lives are safe,” the spokesman said in an interview with the BBC.

Our leadership has instructed our troops to remain at the gates of Kabul, and not to enter the city.

“We are waiting for a peaceful transition of power,” he said, adding that the Taliban expected this to happen within days.

Earlier on Sunday, an Afghan Interior Ministry official said the Islamist militant group was coming into Kabul “from all sides” but gave no further details.

READ  The incidence of Covid-19 in Ireland is more than double the EU average

A tweet from the Afghan presidential palace account said that shooting was heard at a number of points around Kabul but that security forces, in coordination with international partners, took control of the city.

A Taliban official said the movement did not want casualties while in charge, but had not declared a ceasefire.

Deja una respuesta

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos obligatorios están marcados con *