Johnson warns of ‘tides’ for omicron cases as boosted thrust widens

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced on Sunday that all people over the age of 18 across England will get a Covid-19 booster injection by the new year, in response to what he called a «tidal wave of Omicron infection» approaching the country.

In a televised address, Mr Johnson warned that two doses of the vaccine were no longer «sufficient to provide the level of protection we all need», and as a result, the British government began extending the boost, dubbed «Omicron Emergency Boost».

“Every eligible person aged 18 or over in England will have the opportunity to receive a booster before the new year,” he said, adding that the NHS reservation system would open to the remaining younger cohorts from Wednesday.

Earlier this month in response to the new variant, the government cut the gap between the second and third doses from six to three months and pledged to provide an injection for all adults by the end of January.

Mr Johnson added that he had spoken to the delegated departments «to confirm that the UK government will provide additional support to accelerate vaccinations in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland».

According to figures published on 12 December, more than 23 million people across the UK have received a booster or third dose.

Mr Johnson said the rapid launch would be supported by the deployment of 42 military planning teams to each district, additional vaccine sites and mobile units, and an extension of working hours so clinics are open seven days a week, «with more appointments in the early morning, evening and weekends.» and training thousands of volunteers in the field of vaccination.

READ  International travel: The European Union struck a deal on Covid cards to clear the way for summer travel

Deja una respuesta

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos obligatorios están marcados con *