Non-Irish EU citizens will need a ‘travel permit’ to cross the border under the UK scheme

Non-Irish EU citizens living in the republic will have to apply online for prior authorization to travel from the UK to cross the border under proposed new UK immigration laws.

Under the Citizenship and Border Act, they will be required to apply for a US-style visa waiver known as an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) before entering the UK, including when crossing the land border into Northern Ireland.

It will also apply to nationals of the European Economic Area (EEA) who live here, which includes people from Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland.

Non-British or non-Irish nationals from other countries, outside the EU/EEA, who have not previously requested a visa to enter the UK, will need an ETA.

The bill is part of a comprehensive post-Brexit overhaul of the UK’s immigration laws and includes provisions on asylum seekers, citizenship and immigration control.

It passed in the House of Commons on Wednesday and will now move to the House of Lords.

The amendment introduced by the Alliance Party, the Democratic Labor Party, the Labor Party and the Liberal Democrats to exempt travel on the island of Ireland from the ETA vote requirement was not selected.

«This adds extra layers of bureaucracy and creates new legal risks and risks for people transiting overland into Northern Ireland,» said coalition MP Stephen Fary.

Deja una respuesta

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos obligatorios están marcados con *